Our Environmental Commitment
At Peaceful Heritage Nursery our environmental commitment runs deep and is at the basis of how we do things on a daily basis. In 2016 we obtained our USDA Organic Certification to verify and acknowledge our deep environmental commitment and values. We have never once in our lives sprayed synthetic pesticides or herbicides on the earth, and we have been strictly organic growers since the early 2000s. Here is a look into our Eco-friendly practices at our nursery:
1) We utilize only natural fertilizers like seaweed, composted, granulated chicken manure, liquid fish and rock minerals.
2) We do not currently mail paper catalogs, thus saving much waste, inks, paper and water.
3) We do not ever use herbicides like Roundup which are verified by WHO to be cancer-causing (carcinogenic) and which definitely damage the ecosystem.
4) We currently use no electricity in our nursery greenhouses.
5) We use automatic drip irrigation and mist systems for most of our plants, which drastically reduces water use.
6) We reuse plastic pots whenever we can and recycle broken pots.
7) We use zero styrofoam in our packing material.
8) We reuse organic fertilizer bags, gathered waste newspapers and other loose plastic for shipping material.
9) We have a large wooded buffer zone between our activities and the nearby creek, to help protect it from any runoff or other degradation.
10) We are so space efficient in our farming practices, that most of our open land (several acres) is saved for natural meadow and semi-wetland. This area is full of wild flowers, native plants, insects and tree frogs which would absolutely be devastated by agricultural chemical use. The remaining property is one acre or so of diverse native forest.
11) We use on occasion only organic approved sprays for pest and disease control, such as neem oil, soap and daisy extracts.
12) We acquire as much of our products such as pots, fertilizers and mulch as possible as locally and regionally as possible. We first purchase and utilize USA-made plastic pots when available.
13) All of our greenhouses are unheated.
14) We use landscape fabric for weed control thus avoiding using fossil fuel machines, labor or chemicals for weed control.
15) We absolutely avoid using or propagating any GMO (genetically-modified organism) plant material, and avoid patented plants when possible.
16) We do not own or use large tractors in our nursery, thus saving fossil fuel.
17) We utilize a professional rechargeable electric weed-whacker for weed control that uses zero gasoline or oil.
18) We propagate and sell native plant species, thus helping declining species, such as pawpaw and black locust, once again thrive in the American landscape.
19) Natural pest control comes by way of the many toads, praying mantises and ladybugs we nurture and protect, and also release.
20) We aim to produce as little trash waste as possible; composting virtually all organic matter, recycling every bit of plastic and cardboard we can, and reducing any unnecessary use of resources.
21) We cut our own locally-grown, native bamboo for our bamboo supports used in the nursery and when shipping your trees. We don't ship in bamboo from China or anywhere else.
These are just a few ways you can rest assured that when you support our Certified Organic nursery, you are supporting true earth stewards who love the creation and take their role and responsibilities very seriously.